Masterton Racing Club
  • Home
  • Membership
  • Sponsorship
  • Opaki Training Centre
  • Club History
  • Contact
  • Home

CLUB HISTORY


Picture
1872 saw the formation of the Masterton Opaki Jockey Club after racing took place at various venues in the area from the middle 1860’s. Racing began on the Opaki Race Course on Boxing Day in 1885 with trains traveling from Wellington for the occasion.

The name was changed to the Masterton Racing Club on 12 August 1896. 102 years later, on 23 October 1987 the last meeting was held on the Opaki Course which is now in use as a training centre.

The Masterton Racing Club now race at Tauherenikau in South Wairarapa.


Masterton Racing Club
PO Box 470
Masterton 5840


© Copyright Masterton Racing Club 2015